Friday 6 January 2012

Nexus S Ice Cream Sandwich update battery issue

About a week ago I have installed the T-Mobile ICS firmware on my Vodafone Australia Nexus S (SCLD) and everything works pretty well. Not until I realized the phone heated up so fast and the battery drain like a V12 monster truck. After digging around with the setting I finally found a simple fix for my Nexus S and now it has about the same battery life as it was in Gingerbread and extra speed from ICS!



So this is what I did:
1) Go to Setting
2) Go to WiFI setting
3) Press Menu and tap on Advanced
4) Keep WiFi on during sleep
5) Choose never

Keep your phone up for a few days and see if it fixes the problem. I was having about 8-10 hours of battery life and now it goes back to the usual 18-20 hours battery life as in Gingerbread!

Just to remind your memory, this setting is set as 'never' by default in Gingerbread but it is turned on by default in ICS.

I hope it works on you guys! Be sure to leave a comment if it works or tell me if it doesn't work as well.

Here's a screenshot


Interestingly in one part of the graph the battery actually goes up a little bit but I did not charge the phone.

EDIT1: The other thing I have done was I turn the touch screen sound off in the setting menu which is on by default (but there is no sound for some reason). I think the Wifi policy setting make more sense though.

EDIT2: I noticed I switched off the automatic brightness setting as well because it is so dim beyond practical. Now I try to turn it back on and have a trial.

EDIT3: After 2 days of test under the automatic brightness on setting, I concluded that it has nothing to do with my batter life. The first day I put my phone to a very heavy usage (hours of web browsing and hours of gps usage) the phone lasted for about 9 hours which is pretty normal. On the second day I only use my phone for a few minutes of web browsing and constantly using whatsapp and I still have 67% of my battery after 10 hours and 23 minutes which theoretically would last more than 30 hours.

EDIT4: Screenshot under low usage (several web browsing and constantly running whatsapp)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you I am going to try this. My battery life has been terrible and a verizon rep told me that its because I use email and I cant use email. Which is ridiculous. I had an incredible with 5 email accounts being updated throughout the day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reply. I believe it will probably improves your battery life significantly and I hope it works on you. Can't wait to know your result.

    ReplyDelete